Monday, November 2, 2009

The Intruder

Ever wondered what life would be like if somehow your dreams were forced to follow the constraints of the real world.If suddenly....they became more real than reality itself and completely lose their inherent ability to defy the laws of physics...as if you were forced to serve a kingdom, you once were at the helm of....
For as long as I can remember I have had this habit of running into the confines of my fantasy world whenever I am down and out.I have used this as an antidote to counter life's atrocities.Its a belief that may be....may be when I wake up, everything will fall in place and I will be on my way again.And strangely, I have come up with solutions....very CREATIVE solutions...for mankind's(and my own) greatest problems, with my eyes closed, till recently when something really weird started to happen.A few weeks ago, I dozed off while watching a documentary on MAGLEVS (wonder why we need magnetism to levitate when we have wingardium leviosa) and before I knew it, I was on board one cruising at 350 kph through lush green fields in west germany with the sun slowly disappearing below the horizon to my left.It was beautiful....so serene.....I was at the verge of absolute tranquility when suddenly I heard screeching...and BAM!!!....the train tumbled down the ramp,into a ditch and burst into flames.I woke up dazed and perspiring...in a rickety bus...going somewhere...I was utterly perplexed to say the least.How did I get there??Where was I heading to?? The road, the shops..they all seemed so familiar and before I could come up with an answer, I saw it....standing tall...the way she has been standing for the past 100 odd years...our very own century gate.This was where I was suppose to get down, but I did not want to.I got to the door...and hesitated....a gentle shove from the back was all that was needed to make sure that I got down at my stop.Well, all that I can recall after that is a half somersault, a loud thud and excruciating pain.Next thing, I was surrounded by a huddle of professors....laughing....enjoying every bit of my agony(the way they have been doing for the past 2 years).I woke up with a jolt......for a second time.....and pinched myself to ensure that this was the final wake up call.I wiped my face and the sweat off my forehead, the perspiration was even more profuse this time.Somehow,2 years at iitr had managed to suck the life out of my dreams.Being the optimist that I am...I thought that it was a one off thing and went back to sleep.And to my utter despair, the same thing happened again.I just could not leave the premises of the campus, as if Lord Thomson himself was conspiring to curb my imagination and keep my thoughts imprisoned within these 365 acres we call iitr.The same thing happened the following day.My dreams were getting more realisitic by the day, in fact I was virtually dreaming reality!!.I started cutting down on my virtual expenses.I had lost my fictitious guts of maintaining full on eye contacts with "people"(I called it my STAREway to Heaven).Virtual conveyance took a beating too....maranellos and ducatis were a thing of the past and the best that I could manage now was a BSA Photon.The pain and suffering of this world had somehow managed to break the reality-fantasy continuum and infringe into my only abode.Its been a month since...and I still dream with my feet firmly on the ground...MODESTY REDEFINED huh!!!.I always knew that our dreams where subjected to the "TRICKLE DOWN" effect i.e. what we see and do here finds its way there, but isn`t this taking it too far??
Anyways....I have no other option but to continue living this depleted life....devoid of the single most important thing which our sub-conscious has to offer, the thing which infuses ambition into the most unambitious of people, the thing which instills hope into the hopeless, and above all, THE most potent troubleshooter that we have at our disposal.Nevertheless, amidst all this I have learned something, that this is not a one way street, with only "Dreams coming true", can work the other way round too(something for the oneirologists to think about).Sadly, there`s not much that I can do to bail myself out of this soup.All I can do is take my time , and hope that I will rediscover my single-most important ability and the fancy sports cars and trendy bikes will run free again.Finally, I would like to thank the Everly Brothers for giving me such a good insight on dreams(although the song only made matters worse) and of course a special vote of thanks to Aerosmith ...for urging me to DREAM ON!!!

8 comments:

RAY7 said...

Have been waiting a long time for this...ever since I made RV here read every one of my posts...not only because he is a gentleman who would give in to my constant persuasion but cause his fluency of the english language is admirable...but honestly speaking I didn't expect this...

I had to google many parts of your first post simply because my vocab and knowledge is as exquisite and varied such as yours...it was a surprise to read your take on Dream of Reality...far more logical and interesting if I may so...and yes the love you have for your life in IITR is sparkling in every sentence...

Hope you would be as regular as I was when I started blogging if not more. :P Blogsville...let's welcome one of the best in the business with open arms...and rest assured I'd be the first to read and comment on every one of your posts...the editor after all... ;) Lastly I would like to state that some engineers can even give scholars a run for their money!! Cheers!

Amit... said...

I have an uncanny affection towards sleep and the most frustrating thing that can happen to me would necessarily involve an element of that. Give me reality infiltrating my sleeps and a night-out with hungry lions and I shall sign up for the latter. After all, dreams are the only thing devoid of reality which, though desirable, are often a subject of immense revulsion. That's why friend...getting high once in a while does no big harm.

Anonymous said...

after reading the first line:
"somehow your dreams were forced to follow the constraints of the real world"
Don't you think our dreams are ALWAYS forced to follow the constraints of real world?

Anonymous said...

was it a long suppressed whine...
I always knew there was something 'less' optimistic in you which needed an outlet like a blog..
welcome aboard my friend (if you are serious this time) and don't forget: people usually like barter system more than whatsthat??

shaakaal said...

bhai JK rowling ko complexity ho jayega yeh pada diya toh

Unknown said...

well expressed my optimist dreamer friend... all these so called real dreams of urs will b fulfilled once u get out of here... this thirst will make us feel our success a lot more tastier...jst silence before a storm... our tym will come... so njoy this period..

RV said...

@payel
Thanks a ton....btw..ppl are more intrigued by ur comment dan d blog itself ;)....u hav been really generous...neways...glad dat u liked it... :)
@Dang
i see dat u have managed to slip in ur lil boozin incident here too... :P
@rahul
well...my dreams are usually very free-spirited...and are mostly n exaggerated version of reality....and ya..cudnt agree more....most ppl use blogs to channel der depression...

RV said...

@pratik
thanks bhai....guess i hav achieved wat i set out for.. ;)
@DJ
ur comment itself is bubbling with optimism...really helps when u are always inclined towards the brighter side of things....and ...btw....thanks for pointing out all the typos....